Haworth Main Street At Night, Bronte Country

Last Sunday it was the first night of the British winter time, so it got dark very early.....too early perhaps. But I did not mind as I was in Haworth, my favourite place in the world, and I had a chance to photograph it at night! It was the night before Halloween; the spooky Halloween Parade took place earlier on, and now the village was quiet and almost deserted. I felt happy and privileged that I almost had it to myself.


I came out of my Old Registry Bed & Breakfast room at the bottom of Main Street just after 5 o'clock in the afternoon. Nightfall was already well on its way. I headed uphill towards the top of  Main Street - the most picturesque part of the famous, incredibly charming, cobbled street. There is a vintage bicycle outside "Cobbles and Clay" cafe (my favourite daytime haunt) which always attracts my eye, and I liked the row of the old lantern street lights on the left.....


I was pleased to see that one of my favourite Haworth shops, "Heath and Harebells" has moved from tiny premises to much bigger ones next door. Here there is space for more goodies to do with Haworth and the Brontes. I can't wait till I get a chance to explore. The new shopfront looked lovely that evening.


Beautiful, eye catching window of another shop I love, "Wave of Nostalgia". It's a lovely little vintage shop where a friend of mine works. The lady who owns it sews gorgeous vintage dresses to measure like the ones in the window.


I must admit my heart sank when I saw that the name of this wonderful historic shop had changed from "Rose & Co. Apothecary" to "The Cabinet of Curiosities". To me "Apothecary" seems the only worthy name for this unique shop that was originally a Victorian chemist. In a way I was glad it was closed, so I could not go in and see what other possibly unwelcoming changes had been made.
On a more positive note, I just love the shopfront, and the windows are always dressed with a lot of style and taste.


It felt like it was very late, but some shops were still open....


This particular spot always seems unreal to me; standing here I feel like I am immersed in some old fairy tale; I often think of pinching myself to make sure I'm not in a dream. Just love this place so much.


The warm orange glow of street lights on the old stone buildings was just the thing I wanted to capture....I cannot imagine a better village for nighttime photography (or daytime photography either, for that matter!). Here there is just no end to the feast for the eyes or animating spirit for the soul.

I had to go the Bronte Parsonage too, of course. I took a few shots there, but I really wanted to treat it separately; I wanted to leave the Parsonage for another occasion; I like to have something in the pipeline.... It was now 6 o'clock and time to go back to my room and get ready for an evening meal in the fabulous "Embers of Haworth" restaurant. I glanced towards it as I walked back down Main Street, and could see the staff had just got to work and were preparing for opening.





Comments

  1. I have always wanted to visit Haworth and you have just made me put this to the top of my list. I love the atmosphere that you have captured in your photos, thank you! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chel. Hope you do get to visit Haworth soon, yo can hardly choose a better place :) x

      Delete
  2. Wonderful photos Vesna. I was puzzled by "cabinet of curiosities". It does seem such a shame it's changed. Haworth has always had a lot of charm but mum used to say it was like living in a theme park sometimes :0)
    I will always love the place though and it's really special to see it through your lens. Thank you for sharing.
    Jacquie xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your visit and kind words, Jacquie. It is an honour and great pleasure to me to hear my photos of Haworth speak to you as someone who grew up there!!! I understand your Mum's saying "it was like living in a theme park sometimes". There is definitely a theme to Haworth, and for me it is more like a spirit that draws me in and makes me want to be there .... :) xxx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Villages of Laycock and Goose Eye, West Yorkshire

October 2023

May 2023