The village of Dockray, The Lake District, Cumbria

I haven't taken any new photos for the past few weeks. I was ill with the flu when we had a spell of heavy snow, and "the beast from the east" was thrashing England. Then I started a new job, which for me is a bit like starting a new life, so while I am in training and finding my feet in the new job and new circumstances of living I have put my photography on the back burner.
However, when it's time to relax I like nothing more than editing photos, and I decided to look in my archives for something to process for a blog post. The weather has not been nice: low, wintry temperatures, another bout of heavy snow followed by incessant rain and then more snow. It's already mid March, and I'm sure everyone is, like I am, eagerly awaiting a turn in the weather and some much welcome signs of spring. In this spirit I thought I'd share a few photos I took in the beautiful August weather of 2016, when we were on holiday at Ullswater, one of the lakes in the wonderful English Lake District.

We were on the lookout for some good places to have an evening meal and were recommended the Royal Hotel in the picturesque village of Dockray, a mile or so away from our rented cottage. We came here one afternoon to check it out, and while G and our friends sat down to a cold and refreshing drink in the beer garden I disappeared with my camera for half an hour or so.

The Royal is a family run, traditional country hotel. It looked so beautiful in the lovely light of the summer afternoon with its contrasting colours of white, black and red framed by the rich blue of the sky. I wandered excitedly around the building and the garden with my camera clicking away.






Dockray is a very small, quaint and peaceful village with old stone houses, many of them whitewashed. There are quite a few gorgeous holiday cottages. As I admired them I thought what a perfect place to be based for a holiday with Ullswater and its lake attractions just a mile away, proximity of the spectacular Aira Force waterfall and two of  England's most well known fells, Helvellyn and Growbarrow, just a stone's throw away.








Dockray is surrounded by farmland and rolling valleys and nestles in the stunning lakeland countryside. I was itching to explore it, but it was time I went back to my company so I just grabbed a couple of shots from the edge of the village.



To round off our experience of this charming place we did return for an evening meal at the Royal. It was exquisitely home made and delicious. Both the hotel and the village are on my list of places to go back to when I am in the area next time.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Villages of Laycock and Goose Eye, West Yorkshire

October 2023

May 2023